Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Tales of Two Liverpool Fans

I almost bursted into tears when I first read about Liam Harker's news before the first leg of Champions League Semi Final between Liverpool and Chelsea at Anfield. Reading his sad story reminds my own.

It was supposed to be a fantastic trip to Singapore with my mom, along with my best friend and his mom, but it turned out to be one of the most painful experiences in my life. On the day 12 November 2002, I could have lost everything. It was 12.30pm and all of us were in a taxi going to Changi Airport to fetch our mothers' friend. Somehow the taxi driver made a ridiculous turn and suddenly all the cars are racing towards us on the highway. I did not have a good sleep the day before and I was very dizzy until my mom screamed so loudly. I was shocked and just as soon as my eyes are wide opened, BANG!!!

I sat just behind the passenger's seat and the incoming car hit directly on me. The window was smashed and flying into pieces. All I could remember was the loud noise and nothing else. I was not dead or unconcious. I woke up and checking if everyone was okay. Phew, luckily everyone was okay except the car, I thought. My best friend Alan looked at me and he was very shocked. My mum was crying and kept asking me whether I was able to see anything while Alan's mum was calling the ambulance.

Wait... I was okay! Why were everyone so weird? Wait... I was wearing a white shirt and not red. Oh my God! My shirt was covered with my own blood! Fantastic, I almost fainted. At this time I thought I was going to say goodbye to this world. Just as Liam, I also wanted to ask my mum to burn me in the Liverpool shirt and put my ashes around Anfield. I did not say it out cos I was too shocked and afraid. I still remember that I was staring at the cars passing by. Hahaha. The ambulance arrived shortly and the paramedics were so annoying. They kept ordering me not to move to prevent unnecessary injuries but I was still able to walk or run anyway. They made me wearing like a robot and sent to the hospital nearby.

The doctor cut my expensive shirt away and they checked my everything. No serious injuries other than the glasses on my head. I was made waiting until a nurse came and clearing some of the glasses. The doctor came and injected anesthetic which was the most painful thing I ever experienced. One injection just beside my left eye and another one just beside my throat. I realized I could die with my throat being cut. Euww! My tears kept falling throughout the operation and suffered the coldness cos I was wearing nothing. I was sent to X-Ray on my head then back to patient room for rest.

I was there, with my bare skin exposed, freezing. I saw a patient a few metres beside me, it was an old man. All his family members were with him and I heard him breathing loudly. I did not think he could last the day. This experience was kind of scary really. I never see death before. I went to toilet later and I really wanted to bang my head. "Is that me? Is that really me?!" I kept asking myself. I could not recognise the person on the mirror. I went back to my bed and crying. The cute little boy suddenly looked worse than the Hunchback of Notre Dame.
(perasan huh? =P)

I never tell this to anyone. I was crying and singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" for many rounds until my mum, Alan and his mum, along with my cousin Chelsia came to see me. Chelsia bought me a shirt which I still keep it today. I was allowed to check out later and went home to rest. Later on that night, I woke up and even woke Alan up to watch Liverpool in Champions League clash against Basel, only to watch them lost. Sigh...The next day I could not get out from my bed. Perhaps this was the momentum of the accident.

I would never say my pain is greater than anyone, especially Liam Harker's. I understand his pain but knowing you will die soon is not anybody can take. However, I believe he left this world without any regrets, having buried with his signed Liverpool shirt.

Liam Harker, you are one of the best Liverpool supporters I have ever witnessed. YNWA and good night Liam.

0 comments: